Monday, December 27, 2010

Three years ago


It was 27th of December 2007.
I was at my radio station, which is situated in an office plaza at sharae faisal, Karachi. 10 minutes before the 6 o'clock news I am usually going through notes, while constructing words for the opening line of my radio show, which starts right after the 5minute news bulletin. Political atmosphere of Pakistan had dramatically changed. Emergency was imposed, judges were deposed, media was shunned. I like many in this country, was barred from carrying out my show for 34 days. After years of army rule, not only musharraf had taken his uniform off, also both ex-prime ministers had returned to the country. From being in exile few weeks ago, to campaigning in front of the nation for upcoming elections, it was sadly the best, in this country, people have seen of "democracy".

Despite stories of the day in my notes were...
  • Peak-hour electricity shortage reaches over 2,000MW or 20 per cent of the total demand.
  • Musharraf and Karzai renewing pledge to combat terror.
  • Pakistan invites hundreds of foreign observers for the January 8 polls.
  • US Special Forces to train Pakistani troops.
...I began my radio program with the usual "Salam" followed by "listeners, there is a sad news still developing and reaching us from Islamabad, that Benazir is killed".

A minute earlier; news department had confirmed me, as to what happened when the dust settled from the bomb blast at her motorcade. I remember not saying much, and stepping out from the studios queuing commercials.

I went back on air after commercials and shared with listeners some more information about entire events of the day leading up to this incidence. The shock was difficult to stay live on mic with, so I went out of the studio office to grab a smoke in the alley near the stairs. What I saw was something I had never seen before; the entire workforce of this eleven story office building was leaving all at once. Their faces were pale, terrorized and everyone looked confused as if somebody tipped off a bomb hoax. Seeing this flood of people evacuating the building, I followed 'em down to check the streets. Since I knew news department will take over the transmission to connect with reporters from the scene and etc... hence I never had the burden to resume the show immediately.

I remember street lights were out, people were gathered in huge numbers, cars were packed with extra people, as every one instantly believed, "fleeing to home" was the right thing to do. I talked with few people to explore what they knew more about Benazir's death that I didn't. They all said, "you have no idea what is to come, now". I tried reading their minds by inquiring what is to come? They all seem to agree with "just about anything". As if the instant reaction of her death was intuitively sent into their brains. I could not see the reason for panic, since I myself was shocked like most of them were, I told myself "lets go upstairs and finish the show, then I will head home".

I received a text from my younger brother, conveying a very important instruction from my father.
"No political commentary, beta!"

Within an hour, the fear of those leaving for home instantly after the news of Benazir's demise; started making sense.

Radio's newsroom started receiving information of riots, gun shots and fires being set in several places of the city. This was odd at first, but as hours passed and police, rangers and army was not mobilized at all, it all turned into complete havoc well before the 10pm news bulletin. Office staff at our radio were the only few people in the entire building left stranded.

News of cars being burnt, banks being looted and several unknown gunmen harassing public at almost all big and small roads, started reaching us. Public transport was either halted, stopped by force, or crashed and then set ablaze. Little did we know, that we won't be able to go anywhere for next 36 hours. Terror danced out on the streets, naked in front of our eyes.

Phone calls we received and reports which reached us throughout next three days; still haunts many in our staff team. Billions of dollars worth of looting and destruction. Several dead and kidnapped.

Terror wasn't over:
More than 28 railway stations, 13 engines and 7 trains were set ablaze, totaling a loss of more than 3 billion $ alone. More than 3000 cars, 176 banks, 37 gas stations, hundreds of buses, trucks, shops and buildings were destroyed. More than 100 people died in riots which followed BB's assassination.

Unreported stories:
21 year old Abid (now 24), is still waiting for his sister to return from office. Last phone call she made was minutes before plunging into a small street for safety, abandoning her car after witnessing riots on streets.

Her wedding date was in a month's time.

It was a black day in the history of Pakistan and BB's death was the least of any reason why.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You share this whole, more then three times in your shows.

syed hasan said...

yes it was a shocking news.everyone has his own story about 27 dec2007 this is u r story. i feel sadnest and conduem the violence throughout the country .sh

Anonymous said...

true. mohtarma was not the entire tragedy

Anonymous said...

further to unreported stories:
many rather countless girls were rapes in landhi, korangi, site and other areas, who were coming from offices/factories

:) dont wanna say more dude