Saturday, August 14, 2010

Floods in Pakistan

Rains starting from the mid of July have perhaps halted briefly, but floods waters show no sign of receding. People from times of Swat operation (from where i not only filed several radio reports but also assisted in relief efforts) knocked again with donations. Initially i thought areas in southern sindh would be in desperate need of such relief, but now almost all parts of Balochistan, Punjab and NWFP are signaling red.

Government, foreign & local organizations along with many welfare and untrained enthusiasts have moved into massive rescue and relief operation. There is no central command and control.

First it was donors and now my radio station, which has handed me a responsibility to provide media coverage and job to study the relief operations. I am flying to several destinations starting from Monday 16th August.

From shopping malls to schools, mosques, offices and along road sides, every where you see is a call to donate. For the moment i have some guardianship of several donors but from my experience in Swat i know, this is nothing compared to the need.

Ramadan is already here. A cleric has issued Fatwa saying, that those effected with floods and suffering from famine, need not to keep a Fast and they may complete their numbers in later months.

I am pledging donors to contact me on my phone number. I am leaving Karachi.
00923322627235
Pray for Pakistan and all the humanity at large.

1 comment:

MS.DT.KM said...

hi,

dotKOM here (yeah, i am the one who sent you at least a thousand emails...but your didnt respond :@)

ooopes...

came back to pakistan on 14th, werna i'd join you...

you are right...no central command control...as ever...yaar do one thing if you can (we tried doing it at the time of earthquake of northern area) that...ask some NGO/Govt agency to make a database of the people...this will help in many many ways (you can think) but the main thing is that the database will help finding the relatives/guardians of the missing people

further, we (me and my friends) are also moving to sukkur region along with some food, medics, doctors, tents and cloths

peace...
may Allah bless pakistan

ps: let me know if a free mason is required...i have a couple of side projects in my mind...if you are ready to put it on air :)